Nikšić (pronounced [nîkʃit͡ɕ]) is the second largest city of Montenegro, with a total population of 56,970 located in the west of the country, in the centre of the spacious Nikšić field at the foot of Trebjesa Hill. It is the center of Nikšić Municipality with population of 72,443 according to 2011 census, which is the largest municipality by area and second most inhabited after Podgorica. It was also largest municipality by area in former Yugoslavia. It is an important industrial, cultural, and educational center.
Nikšić is settled in the valley of the Zeta River. The Romans built a castrum (camp) called Anagastum there, probably on an old tribal settlement site. By the 12th century the name had been transliterated to Onogošt, and the name Nikšić was used by the Montenegrins c. 1355. The town was held by the Turks from 1455 to 1877.
Nikšić is an important industrial centre with a major steelworks, ironworks, a brewery, sawmills, woodworking factories, and a hydroelectric station. Bauxite is obtained from one of the largest mines in Europe. The planned development of underdeveloped Montenegro after World War II brought new buildings, parks, and service projects to Nikšić. An ancient Roman bridge crosses the Zeta, and ruins of Anagastum and another settlement at nearby Zavrh remain. Around the old Church of St. Peter is a graveyard of the heretical Bogomil sect, which died out in the late Middle Ages. Nikšić features a local museum (founded in 1951). The Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Montenegro is based in the city. Pop. (2011) 56,970.